- This event has passed.
Jinju Namgang Yudeung Festival
October 1 - October 15
Every October, the residents of Jinju, South Korea honor the 70,000 militia members who gave their lives defending their city from Japanese invading forces during the Imjin War.
- Jinju Namgang Yudeung Festival originates from the lantern lighting custom used during the Jinjuseong Fortress Battle of the Imjinwaeran War (Japanese invasion, 1592) as a military strategy to prevent Japanese troops from wading the Namgang River. The styles of the lanterns vary considerably, creating a colorful ensemble of floating art.
- The highlights of the festival are the floating of lanterns carrying personal wishes of the citizens along the Namgang River, and the parade of lanterns created by the students themselves. In addition, the festival features gaejesik (lighting of lanterns in remembrance of the Jinjuseong Fortress Battle veterans), an exhibition of the world’s traditional lanterns, and many more participatory cultural programs.
- Admission/Participation Fees
- Adults (ages 19 and older) 10,000 won
Students (ages 7-18) 5,000 won
- For more information, click here & here